Realising that school Sevens rugby offers players more opportunities than possibly given credit for in the past, including the chance to represent the provincial under-18 team in a televised game or two, which in turn could open several doors to a player who performs well, the KZNRU under the guidance of chairman Noel Ingle has introduced a welcomed restructuring, with the intention of making the selection of players a lot fairer than in the past.
From the KZNRU HSRA:
A new selection system was adopted at the AGM last year. The new system was to identify selectors from each region in KZN. This was done to afford every player an opportunity to be selected for the KZN team.
The following people were identified to lead the process:
Mr Lungi Kama (Convenor of selectors independent)
Mr Harry Venter (Northern Region) – (from Pionier)
Mr A C Blume (PMB and Midlands) – (from Hilton)
Mr Roland Norris (Durban) – (from Westville)
Mr Ryan Kyle (Southern Region) – (from Creston College)
Mr Ryno Combrink (Coach) – (from Michaelhouse)
Mr Luhkanyo Nontshinga (Assistant Coach) – (from George Campbell)
The squad listed below was identified at the final and main KZN trials.
The process is to continue and will follow the following format.
1. The selectors will nominate further players from their specific region who they believe are of Provincial standard and have not already been part of the process.
2. Schools may also nominate players who are of provincial standard. Please be respect the process. Too many nominations will retard the process.
3. The nominations must reach *** before 14 August.
4. Please only nominate additions to the squad who are of provincial standard.
5. A trial process will take place on Monday 18 August at Woodburn at 14h30. A squad of approximately 21 players will be selected.
6. The coaches will work with the squad and a final trial will take place on
1st September. A team of 12 players and 6 reserves will be selected.
7. The coaches will take over the squad and make changes only if there are injuries or withdrawals.
8. Training will take place once a week leading up to the tournament at the discretion of the coaches
9. Depending upon finance the team will attend a pre tournament camp
|4||Donovan du Randt||Glenwood|
|21||Daryn Goodson||Maritzburg College|
|22||Hayden Tharratt||Maritzburg College|
|23||Kudzai Munangi||Maritzburg College|
|24||Mac vd Linder||Maritzburg College|
|25||Xolisa Guma||Maritzburg College|
|33||Karel Terblanche||Port Natal|
|34||Ryan Elliot||Port Shepstone|